View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Campbell34

I have been busy for the last few days making shopping bags from upholstry materials, I quilt them with a thin batting and line them with some scrap that goes well with the pattern, I make pockets inside the bag because you might want to go shopping and not carry a shopping bag and a purse.I serge the edges before I put the bag together because of the possibility of fraying . I serge the handles and fold them under , stitch several times, then to finish it up I add a few glitzy crystals in a very few places .The latest fons and porter magazine has a good pattern for bags, only I use one piece of material on the upholstry bags instead of several materials because of the thickness of the upholstry,I serge the top that is folded down once instead of several times as stated in the mag. it is a good way to use up scraps too, take several materials that go well together and in one afternoon you can have a new bag.I understannd that in Calif. plastic bags are a thing of the past , they are selling bags here in Arizona too. :lol: