View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntnana View Post
Wow this is interesting. I've always been told and read that if you're using cotton fabric you should always use cotton thread and bobbin. Reason being if you use poly thread it will outlast the cotton and would wear the fabric at the seams.
Old wives tale now. Maybe once upon a time it was true but with changes in manufacturing processes and and thread makers wanting to please quilters, the times they are a changing! I encourage you to visit Superior Threads education site. Loads of info there and also some myth debunking. Here is the old "poly thread will cut through cotton fabric" myth explained

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ar-the-fabric/

Edited to add, everything I have learned about thread I learned from other members here linking to different resources. Then going to shows and speaking with thread manufacturers I have learned so much. Now my thread addiction is almost as bad as my fabric addiction. So many choices and so many things we can do with the thread once the piecing is done. Fancy metallics, heavy embroidery, cotton, silk, synthetics our choices are endless and we should take advantage of that.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-29-2016 at 09:42 AM.