Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
This happens because you are not starting to sew with the needle all the way to the top. Do this test, open your bobbin area and turn your hand wheel and make a stitch. Note the bobbin thread when the needle is all the way down and again when the needle is all the way up. As you wil see the thread is still wrapped around the bobbin area until the needle gets to the top. You can also see that with the needle up but not all the way up, thread can still not be clear of the bobbin area. If you start and the needle is down you have bobbin thread going a bit wild down there from when you made your last stitches. In other words, ALWAYS START AND STOP WITH THE NEEDLE ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
This is true. I have a habit of turning my handwheel til the take up lever is at the top because my main machine doesn't love letting work go if the stitch isn't finished. The other benefit of this is that your machine doesn't un-thread the needle when you start to stitch again.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Another thing non tension related to bad stitching... Check the bobbin. Plastic can be nicked or cracked. Etc. metal can be rusted or bent or the wrong bobbin for the machine.
Soooo,.. I shouldn't use that plastic bobbin I dropped on the ground and later stepped on yesterday? I only heard a small crack...