View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 PM
ArchaicArcane

Alright, so I think I basically got from the electric motor shops what I expected to hear.

Shop #1 suggested a non-detergent oil:
My thoughts on this:
  • assuming there are wicks in the grease tubes, this would be OK BUT
    • not all grease tubes have wicks
    • it would have to be repeated fairly often
    • if the wick was already saturated with grease it would need to be replaced first then the oil put in and a person would have to be VERY careful not to over fill and to monitor the wicks and make sure they're not getting dry.

Shop #2 - Suggested Lubriplate 105 assembly grease. This is the same thing that was mentioned earlier in this thread as a very good lubricant. The concern I have is that it contains zinc-oxide as well. https://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/SDS/...100Series.html This has the potential to clog the wicks - especially if it's what's in the new Singer lube and leaving that yuck on the paper towel. It sure looks right if you see what the ZO powder looks like. It also has a melting point of 170F. Higher but maybe still OK?

Shop #3 - At first he suggested 3in1 oil because that's what the industrial motors use (a commercial version of it but 3in1 oil all the same) but I mentioned that it 1. is a liquid not a solid when cold. 2. dries to cement if let sit. He agreed about its downsides then we discussed the petroleum jelly. The need for a low melting point, thus likely not a synthetic, the fact that it's recommended in other brands of motors, its safety for human use and its very good lubricating properties. He thinks there's nothing wrong with it and can't see why it would be problematic. He also suggested one more shop in a different province who might have a packaged solution or some other suggestions. I will call them in the morning since it was far too late to do it by the time I got off the phone with Shop #3.

So, to reiterate:
  • I am NOT advocating the use of 3in1 oil in a motor. At all. Ever.
  • An electric motor shop (once they stopped laughing about the size of motor I was asking about ) seems to think that petroleum jelly shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? Comments?

Additionally, I showed my supplier the new lube and how it looks after a while under low heat (simulating the heat of a motor over time) and they agree that it's not OK. They're going to get in touch with their supplier/manufacturer and ask what's up, so there may be more info coming.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 02-02-2016 at 04:53 PM.