View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Bree123

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I will be quilting this on my DSM but it does have an 11 inch throat space so that helps... I am really not good with feathers I have tried to do them on a sample piece of fabric but they just don't come out looking like a feather, I really need to practice more before I try them on a quilt. For some reason I can't get my mind around then , when I try making then they come out looking bad.. I can see where feathers would look so good in each part of the star but I think it will have to wait till some other time and quilt..So I am back to a all over design..Thanks for you advice..I'll practice more..

I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful. I just learned to do feathers myself a few months ago. My first attempts were a bit of a mess. The biggest issue for me was practicing drawing the feathers on paper. That not only helped build visual memory, but it also helped me get a better drawing on my quilt with the Ultra Clean markers so I could follow along. Any time I had a couple minutes of downtime at work, I was practicing drawing those feathers. I'll see if I can get a photo posted of the Irish Chain quilt I did with a feathered wreath later. Having issues with reducing size of photos at the moment, but I've received lots of compliments on them even though they're not as even as I'd like. I took an online class with Green Fairy Quilter (Judi Madsen) at https://www.iquilt.com/course/quilti...-a-difference/

It made a huge difference in my ability to draw & quilt feathers. I can't do the super fancy wavy feathers that she does ... yet. But am getting pretty decent at doing basic feathers. You get 20% off the class if you're an AQS member & an additional 40% off through 2/3/16 with the code IQFUN.