View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 AM
Is What it is

Default Need Advice on Machines

Hi Everyone. Have watched this board forever it seems, and there is so much excellent information from everyone. I love it.
I am trying to decide between 2 machines- both used and wondering what everyone's experience is with these machines. I enjoy quilting and have recently started embroidery. I purchased a Janome 9700 a few years ago and find it is limiting - 5x7 is too small for many of the quilt blocks I would like to create and even in the hoop items seem to be limted due to the max size. Have quilted some small twins/lap size on it- and have sent to a long arm user the queen and king size quilts I have done.
I have seen the Brother Quattro 2 6700D with upgrades 3 and 4 on line for sale, used for $4500-$5000. Larger hoop (8x12) and throat size than my Janome 9700 and apparently better screen.
I have also seen some Husqavarna Viking Topaz 30-50 machines for $2000-2500. Larger hoops, but have seen some comments that this machine has had some issues with its users and not as good a stitch quality.
So, I am wondering what those who have some experience think and are the prices reasonable? Is the Brother worth $2000-2500 more? Are those prices reasonable for used machines? Is there any guides (like cars) available for used machines?
Thanks for your assistance!