View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 AM
DeneK

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I wish you had posted a picture of the quilt. Sometimes what one person sees as really bad doesn't appear the same to another person. These wonderful quilters on this board may have some ideas to help you which won't involve taking the whole thing apart.
That is what I thought at first... I fixed what I thought would be the worst, and I could have lived with that. This was an applique quilt (parasol ladies) and I had not secured the individual pieces well enough and a good many had frayed loose. I thought I could fix it by hand with overcast stitches, but as I progressed along, it looked like a sloppy fix (well, because it was a sloppy fix). I just could not take it back to her like that.

And the issue with the applique was only one of the problems. Also seams pulling apart from the sashing due to my seams being too narrow to hold. Several places where holes had worn though (not my fault but needed to be fixed) and one fairly large hole torn like it had been caught on something (also not my fault ).

If it weren't for the many problems with the applique, I would probably have tried to make the repairs without taking it apart. But in order to get the applique under the sewing machine again, the blocks would have to separated from the back and batting. Once I did all that, then didn't make any sense not to just make the whole thing right again.

I will post some pictures.