View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:29 PM
slbram17

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
So Dh came up to the office (which doubles as our guest room and has a queen sized bed) to find me practically in tears as I looked at the completely finished top for DD and SIL's quilt. It was almost touching the floor on three sides. I don't know how I miscalculated, but in my opinion, it was about 10 inches too big all around. I was trying to figure out the easiest way to dismantle a portion of it and re-size.

He started asking me questions:

'Is this the size of their bed?' Yes.

'Is their bed this low or is it higher?' I think it is a bit higher.

'Will the top be the same size after it is quilted?' Well, probably a bit smaller because of the quilting.

'What about after it is washed? It's cotton, right? and cotton shrinks, right?' Well, yes it will probably shrink a bit when it is washed because I want to use Hobbs 80/20. (small sidebar while I explained what 80/20 meant )

'What if you just trimmed a bit off the last border all around? Would that be enough?' Ummm.....(a moment or two of silence as I contemplated that easy fix and kicked myself for not thinking of it ) Okay, I could get it quilted the way it is, remeasure and trim if necessary at that point. Eureka!! Yes, that might just work!

'Well then, can I have my chair back please?'

What a man!!
Great advice. I have had recipients tell me they are glad when the quilt is larger because it covers their thick mattresses, etc. Too short is a different thing though.