View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
liking quilting

Default Vintage blocks now are in a quilt!

Last year I shared the story of my then 87 yr. old cousin who still quilts, even after moving into a nursing home. She showed me a set of beautifully hand embroidered blocks made many years before by an aunt of her's. She estimates these blocks to be 100 yrs old. She was determined to make these into a quilt. I encouraged her (but wondered, could she?).
A couple of weeks ago, I visited her and found her at her old Bernina machine, working at finishing a border and struggling with the attempts of getting her recently filled bobbin back into the machine with her shaking hands. When she saw me at her doorway she said she had just said a prayer for help. I helped get the bobbin inserted into the machine and drew the bobbin thread up for her. Wow, have you ever been told you were the answer to someone's prayer! Cool.
Today, I briefly visited again, and all that's left is to sandwich the quilt, which her daughter is coming to help her do tomorrow. Then, she plans on hand quilting and binding it herself. I just had to share my joy in this great woman. So proud of her!!!
Attached Thumbnails 102_2835-640x467-.jpg   102_2834-640x448-.jpg