View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 AM
KenmoreGal2

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Also, since you are using your side measurement only to determine your border length, there is no easing/stretching involved. In many cases folks measure their quilts both sides and center to make sure it is square. If there is any discrepancy in those measurements, you can take an average of the 3 measurements to help 'square up' the quilt with the borders. In that case, your border fabric may not be the same length as your quilt, hence the need for easing/stretching your border fabric.
I know - I've read about this! It seems awful confusing to me. I haven't even attempted it. The most I've done is to simply measure the quilt top to bottom or side to side, cut borders a little larger and then pin them together before sewing. Just as you suspected NJ Quilter. Perhaps my quilts have not been totally spot on perfect but I've never had an issue with seriously wavy borders as I've seen in blogs. They quilted up fine on my DSM and I have been able to proudly give them away.

I still wonder if my simple borders and small sized quilts are the reason why I don't need to go the extra mile.