View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:25 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Brig28 View Post
>.snipped<
I have a brand new needle in (because I just broke one) but it doesn't want to grab the bobbin thread. The tension dial is set to "D". The darning lever seems to have an "old" stopping point to the right of the darning icon on the plate. There seems to be about a 1/4 inch play between the "old" spot and the actual darning icon.
Is this normal or is there an adjustment that needs to be made underneath, which in turn is preventing the upper thread from catching the bobbin thread? I have also watched for the upper thread to rotate around the bobbin case to catch as if doing straight stitching, but it never does. When the lever is in the straight stitch position and the tension bar dial is back on 5, it sews a beautiful straight stitch.
Can someone direct me to a solution on how to fix this.

Thank you,
Brigid
I hope I can explain enough to help. Years ago I read a website that told about how to clean out and get the throat plate position bracket to work correctly. Evidently this is a common problem with this type of machine. If you have the manual in pdf format from singerco for the 503, it has diagrams of the upper part on page 14. I don't have my 503 where I can get to it easily. There are three positions for that lever. I wonder if the underside of the lever over to the throat plate lifters may need some more attention. Do you have three distinct stops? Perhaps what you think is the correct position for darning is the position for removing the plate.

I darned one of my socks with my 301 and a darning spring and the stocking darner. I really liked it as the slant needle was in a position that you could easily see what you are doing.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.