View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Lightbulb Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces

I'm in the 365 day challenge started in Australia...the first blocks are 3" finished. I have been cutting several out and then sewing, so here's a way to keep them and other small blocks all together while piecing.

Instead of using my good rotary cutter, I used the one I have designated for Paper. Cut 8 1/2" squares of a inexpensive flannel backed vinyl tablecloth, leaving the manufactured edge in place. I cut 14 squares...it is quite thick..

Layer the squares in a pile with vinyl side up.

Using clips or binder clips "pin" the squares together on all four sides, keeping the manufactured edges on the same side.

With a slightly longer straight stitch length, sew 1/2" seam, removing clips as you sew ... put the flannel side down next to the feed dogs...I didn't and it slipped about--duh...notice the sloppy seam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]542016[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]542021[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]542022[/ATTACH]

Here's how my unsewn blocks look
[ATTACH=CONFIG]542024[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]542025[/ATTACH]

It's easy to transport blocks to a sit n sew, simply close the book and cinch with a binder clip

I made mine 8 1/2 " thinking it would handle up to 6" block pieces, but it could be made larger--14-15" to accomodate 12" finished blocks.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-book-1thru8.jpg   fabric-book-1thru82.jpg   fabric-book-1thru81.jpg   fabric-book-1thru83.jpg   fabric-book-1thru84.jpg