Thread: Chickened out
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 PM
greaterexp

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
It's a beautiful quilt and it looks great. I've been having the same problem myself, I set out to FMQ a quilt I'm making, then I too "chicken out" and use SID or straight stitching, especially when making 9-patch quilts, I just quilt diagonally, and lately I have been using Rayon thread and pick a decorative stitch to do the quilting. Also, when I made a patchwork/applique quilt for our DGD, I quilted around the appliques. That worked, but it was a lot of work. Currently I'm making a smaller version (Zoe was moving to a full size bed instead of a twin) for a friend's daughter. The first version of that pattern had been enlarged, thinking it would drape nicely over the sides of the bed. Thank goodness I did that because I made the top before shoulder surgery and quilted it when I was better, finishing it just in time on Christmas Eve to give to her. The smile on her face, as well as the big hug and kiss were all the rewards for making the quilt, my son even said it was probably one of my best quilts. I make my quilts with love, but it's always nice to get compliments, although hugs and kisses work very well too.
I'm so glad you're doing well after surgery. It's so true that it is how the recipient sees the quilt that is counts, and the joy we have in making them. I was so thrilled that the mom who received it really liked it. She gave birth to very premature babies, one of whom didn't make it. I wanted her to have something special. She was a childhood friend of my daughter's.