View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 07:45 AM
MeadowMist

Default Can a scrappy quilt be too scrappy?

Hi!

I've vowed to not buy any more fabric until I use up a good portion of my small scraps and this is hard because I love buying fabric . I found the attached pattern which I really like and I've already cut up enough squares to go to the next step (though it seems to barely have made a dent in my stash). I hope I'm attaching it right, this is my first post.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte..._Web_Bonus.pdf

A couple years ago I made a scrappy quilt and quite honestly, it ended up looking like mud soup. I'm a fairly new quilter and am afraid of this happening again. I'm thinking this pattern will be better because there is a good contrast between dark and light and the sashing should unify and separate and things - both of these were absent in my other scrappy quilt.

Are there any rules in scrappy quilts as to what to use and not to use? I've pulled the 30's repro fabrics as they seemed to clash and didn't quite fit. Most of my other fabrics are rather traditional (as in not modern or real bright), civil war repro, forest colors, some blues some purples. I don't want to make the mistake again of having too much. The lights are a mixture of mostly white, beige, light yellow and a small number of other lights thrown in.

Thanks!