Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 AM
Weezy Rider

I can usually see the shapes and ignore whatever the designer used. What will deter me from even looking is drooling over "cute" and the same for the fabric line. I rarely look at quilts online. I will check out patterns for blocks and the patterns in an LQS. I dislike some precuts. If a quilt is designed for a jelly roll, forget it. I won't buy one so put the actual yardage on the pattern. (There just aren't enough of the colors that I do want) I also have EQ7 and can futz it I so desire.

If it's in large frilly or floral prints, I don't like those, but I can still see the shapes. I will buy a pattern for a certain construction detail, but then apply that detail to something else. I also prefer earth tone colors and can see the pattern in the colors I like. This is also why I won't buy a kit. I like the pattern, but not the fabric.

I mix and match everything and have no brand loyalty. I go by color.

I learned to do this with garment sewing. I bought some pattern drafting software to help. I don't have to bother with the latest and greatest, I get what I want. That's the whole reason for sewing. Do it yourself.