View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Wintersewer

Great ideas Prism, thank you.

[Prism99;7459116]On a slightly different note, if it were me trying to use up a lot of small scraps, I would opt for something easier than the pattern you posted. It's a lot of working cutting scraps into 2-7/8" squares. If you cut them 3" for this technique and plan on cutting the finished triangles down to size (which makes for more accuracy), again this is a lot of work and a lot of time.

For your next scrappy quilt to use up fabric, you might want to opt for something that would be faster and less demanding in terms of accuracy. This would allow you to get to the buying-more-fabric stage faster!

Here are some things I might do. Piece small, uncut scraps together to get bigger pieces of pieced fabric from which I could then cut bigger pieces to piece together into a quilt. For triangles, for example, you could do 12" blocks made up of a light pieced triangle and a dark pieced triangle (made with the same technique you are using). You could cut any shapes you want out of your created fabric.

I just think you are making it awfully hard on yourself by choosing a pattern that starts out with such small pieces, as it will take a long time to make the quilt. Of course, I am looking at it primarily from the point of view of using up enough of the scraps quickly to be able to buy fabric again. This is mainly because, knowing myself, I would get bogged down with cutting, piecing, pressing and assembling so darn many small pieces! If you can see your way to creating larger pieces of fabric from your small pieces *before* cutting, I think you would see a quilt come together much faster.[/QUOTE]