View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 AM
JoyjoyMarie

I recently made a quilt for my son from his deceased father's shirts. I wish I could post it for you, cause it turned out very well. (I'm having trouble getting my pics into paint to reduce them- not tech savvy enough, I guess, and no one to help me here) I simply cut 10 inch squares from the backs of the shirts. Then I cut off a 3.5 inch piece up the side and used a 1.5 " contrasting dark strip to reconnect the square. Then I cut the square again, perpendicular to the first cut, and along the side 3.5 inches and again used the 1.5 " strip to connect. To make the quilt, I used the same 1.5" contrasting strip to sash the blocks, and turned them every which way to please my eye. Then, in a scrapbooking type of way, I randomly sewed on the labels from inside the shirts just for fun. I FMQed it using a large loopy cursive L design suggested by my dear quilting friend. It came out so well!

Another friend saw the quilt and wanted to make memory pillows from her late father in law with me, using the same pattern, so we are now making 9 memory pillows for the grandkids and kids and mother in law, using the same block, only smaller. They are turning out great too.

Hope you enjoy your project! Let us see the results (if you're more tech savvy than me!)