View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
letawellman

Since you asked for comments, here's mine:
First of all, it sounds like you're in the Charlotte area, and there are quite a few dealers throughout the Carolinas. Many of them will make "house calls".
I personally have an older Viking Mega Quilter (rebranded Tin Lizzie). It is a "stand-up" machine, with a 10" long wooden frame. I got it from an online dealer, and any issues I've had, I resolved with the help of other VMQ owners in the VMQ yahoo group. While I still have the boxes she came in (just in case I need to send her off), I have never had to ship her anywhere.

A couple of things to help you decide if you are going to go the "sit down" machine route - (1) you can't use the computer/robot system with a sit down machine and (2) if you are not at least a little bit proficient doing quilting on your DSM, you may not like the sit down.

One quilt shop owner told me this - people are either the sit down type or the stand up type. With the sit down type, you are moving the quilt. With the stand up type, you are moving the machine. You need to figure out which one is the more natural movement for you. Evidently, our brains work a little bit differently between the two different types.

If you love the Juki, but don't need the really big frame, see if they have a smaller frame. There are often some "demonstrator" size frames on the market, that will probably do up to a twin-size quilt. Since you said you don't do large quilts, this might be one option for you, and the smaller frame will reduce your cost somewhat.

There is also a Juki 2200 sit-down machine on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2522737...chn=ps&lpid=82

Good luck in your quest!!

Last edited by letawellman; 02-12-2016 at 01:37 PM.