View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 08:46 PM
JustAbitCrazy

[QUOTE=Michellesews;7461194]Aw Lora....your story takes me WAAAY back. Ten years ago I was a new longarmer and it seems the wolves come out of the woodwork trying to get something cheap. I had a woman with whom we discussed every aspect of her KING sized quilt and I was so very careful. It was lovely (I thought) and you can't even imagine my horror when she proceeded to pick it to pieces and complain. One of her biggest complaintsbwasnthat when I stabilized the edges I took too big a seam. It was 1/4" but I soon realized what all the complaining was about...yep...$$$! She bad

I had almost the exact same experience with my very first "paid" quilt. Her complaint was that she would have to bind the quilt that weekend when her grandchildren were visiting, in order to show it at the next guild meeting. It was done in the promised time frame, but she thought I had it too long and should have been done sooner. There was no real deadline for showing the quilt at any particular time. She made a huge stink, took back the second quilt top she had left with me, and bad mouthed me to everyone. She just wanted to upset me into giving her a huge discount or not charging her at all. I even thought of doing that (the situation/conversation led your thoughts that way, but couldn't do that to myself! I had really worked hard on that quilt. Later she won first place with it in the county fair, never told me, never gave me credit (or anyone else) for having quilted it. It was entered as if she had done everything.

Be glad you stuck to your guns. You and I are both better off without them. Hold your head up, but no matter what, don't "get snippy" with customers. And you should be charging 2 cents per square inch for all over patterns, imho.