View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 02:53 PM
slbram17

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
A friend of mine sews with a large group that donates many, many different items for charities. The last time she was at retreat she showed me how they make quilts. They sew all kinds of 7" wide scraps into a long jelly type roll first. Then they use that to make reversible sew and flip quilts. They don't use batting on some because many are sent overseas where it is warm year round, but you could easily add batting.
Start with 2 - 7" x 18" strips and place wrong sides together (place batting in between if desired)
Add 2 more strips of the same size, only this time put one on the top and bottom, right sides together, (place batting on wrong side of one strip if desired), and sew the long seam. When you flip them to the right side your seam and the batting will be encased.
Add a second set of 2 - 7" x 18" strips to the opposite side of the strip set and you will have three sets.
Now start adding to the top and bottom in the same way.
Once the top and bottom are done, do each side again and keep building until it is the desired size.
If you don't have scraps that wide, you can use narrower strips, but it will take more rows.
It is fun and goes quickly and makes a scrappy reversible quilt. Just bind when completed and you're done.
Sounds like the six hour quilt techique in Kaye Woods video and book. She recommends the method for charity quilts since they can work up fast. I think she says that in her video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48

Last edited by slbram17; 02-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.