View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 AM
Jeanette Frantz

I have a quilt assembled from blocks my 89-year old Aunt embroidered some 30+ years ago. Now, my SIL, when we found these blocks cleaning out the Aunt's house, told me to "throw them away", and I said NOT JUST NO, BUT H___L NO. To me, these blocks are precious. For that reason, I squared up the blocks, and assembled them with "Blue Viney Calico, made a bed skirt from the white background fabric and put borders on the bed skirt. Then, I made a set of pinch-pleat drapes, with the same borders as the sashing and borders on the quilt, and a pinch-pleated valance made from the Blue Viney Calico. A photo of parts of that quilt is posted in the Pictures section. I truly regard this quilt as an heirloom, not because I assembled it and made the bed skirt, drapes and valance, but because my dear aunt spent an awful lot of hours doing the embroidery work. I could not bear to see these blocks thrown away. I am working on completing the quilt, the drapes, valance and bed skirt which will go to my son, not me. I won't waste space posting photos again -- they are there if you are interested. Thank you. Jeanette