Old 02-17-2016, 06:50 PM
letawellman

Originally Posted by Casi View Post
Thanks for all the help. I was able to download the book I needed. I am just going to have to do a trial and error thing. I like the idea of changing the names so I will have a clue!
Just be certain you DO NOT change the extension on the end - for Brother, it's ".PES". I have an older Viking machine, the extension on my files are ".HUS".
For example, if an embroidery CD says it is "multi-format" , it might have a file called "Puppy" - and it would have it multiple times, but with different extensions, like "Puppy.pes" and "Puppy.hus" and "Puppy.shv" - that would be three different machines - Brother, Viking and I forget who uses the ".shv"
If you change that extension, your machine won't be able to read it.

As others have said, there are several different products online that will "read" your embroidery files. I use EMBIRD - it wasn't free, but the different components are sold as "add on" (like different fonts, digitizers and so on). I didn't want to design my own stuff, I just wanted something that would convert the files for my older Viking machine. It's a great product.