View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 AM
MistyMarie

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by Marjpf
I think they are - after all there is labor involved for them and convenience for us.
Yes, because as someone else stated, while it may be cut and bundled during 'off time', that 'off time' is still paid labor. Off referring only to a quiet time in the store, you are not expecting your LQS worker to cut it at night while watching TV with the family for free are you?

Really, people need to look at the whole picture a bit more.

Is YOUR time worth so little that you are willing to stand and have your LQS worker cut 14 quarter yard cuts so you can save $3.50? You had to walk around the store, lug all the bolts and wait on line before you even had a turn. The time it takes her to cut all that is probably worth more than $3.50 unless she is being paid minimum wage, ($7.55 an hour I think? Thats .13 CENTS a minute.) because her boss has to pay her to do that AND put the bolts away. If all the fabrics you wanted were cut, you are in and out and she can assist someone who has questions, stock the shelves, etc...
To expect them to cut at night on their own time is not at all what any customer would expect, I would hope. However, there are many times that I have walked into a quilt store and I am the ONLY customer in the store. So, I know that there are times when it is slower for stores. This is the time that can be spent cutting and such. I know that there are other duties (such as stocking shelves, organizing, et cetera) that needs to be done too, but they could use some of that time to make FQs.

As for my time, if I am in a hurry, I have a specific fabric in mind and am not going to be standing there getting several pieces of fabric cut. However, if I am not in a hurry, I would definitely take my time, pull out several bolts, and get them cut. When I go to the store to shop for stash building fabrics, I don't mind how much time it takes. It is enjoyable time spent daydreaming about future projects.

To assume that I am putting the employee of a quilt store out by asking them to cut several bolts of fabric never crossed my mind. If I thought that they took that attitude, I would NEVER shop in that store again.