View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Sheddah

Brother's THE Dream Machine and Baby lock's Destiny are the same machine manufactured by Brother International. The differences are cosmetic and software (Disney vs Nancy Zieman, no stitch creator on Destiny--Brother keeps that feature exclusive on their branded machines). In fact, the MSRP on both machines is identical, but I have found that Brother dealers will sell their machines for a lot less than Baby Lock dealers. My favorite Baby Lock dealer and my favorite Baby Lock educator were both quite miffed when I mentioned that the Brother branded machines can be obtained at much reduced prices. Yet the dealer admitted knowing that and was obviously annoyed by it saying she could not sell hers at those prices. Both the dealer and the educator refer to the different branded equivalent machines as the same machine--because essentially they are. But Baby Lock has a reputation of exclusivity which must be upheld, and they also have to purchase their machines from other manufacturers with associated costs. You pay for that. You also pay for the extra services offered at some Baby Lock dealers.

A last note, in comparing a Baby Lock and Brother machine, they need to be the equivalent machines, i.e. DreamWeaver XE and Unity, DreamMaker and Spirit etc. If one were to compare a Baby Lock high-end Brother-made machine to a lower-end Brother machine, of course there will be a huge gap in quality. Some of the lower-end Baby Lock's have been troublesome just as their Brother counterparts. Apples to apples, oranges to oranges...