View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 04:42 AM
Sabrina

Last spring I had a soot back up from my furnace. We also had the carbon monoxide and are very lucky to be alive.
Fortunately, for me most of my quilting fabric, batting, and patterns were in covered plastic totes or boxes. What was
not protected with covers, the surfaces were covered with the soot. Called the insurance company, who contacted the
restoration company to come in and start the cleaning process. Prior to their arrival, I had tried to vacuum carpets, and the vacuum just wasn't picking it up any of the soot. I learned a lot dealing with the restoration company. The individuals that were sent into my home were not trained on how to clean soot. Nor were they sensitive to valuables. The drapes, clothing and some of my smaller quilting items were sent out for dry cleaning. Water was applied to the furniture by the restoration personnel, this did not clean the fabrics. Water is not good for soot. Same for the carpets. The carpeting was less than 4 years old, and a light beige, therefore showed the black soot. I have tried washing some of the smaller quilts and rising twice. I am not real satisfied with the results. There is no smell, but it just doesn't feel the same.

I am sure that a lot of you on this board have a big investment in your quilting. When it comes to the insurance it can be
very challenging. I am really considering putting a rider on my insurance in the event this were to ever happen again.

I wish your friend the very best in her challenges, and hope that she has a lot of support. Soot, as I learned is a very difficult thing to be able to clean. I am still cleaning the soot.