View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
aliaslaceygreen

Originally Posted by Marjpf

To assume that I am putting the employee of a quilt store out by asking them to cut several bolts of fabric never crossed my mind. If I thought that they took that attitude, I would NEVER shop in that store again.
No, I don't think I stated that at all. My point is that you pay for convenience. Milk is less expensive at the supermarket, 7 miles away, than down the block at the 7-11, but you still (sometimes) send your child to walk down the block to pay the extra .89 cents at 7-11 so you don't have to wake the baby up from a nap and pack everyone into the car.

Its a convenience that you expect to pay for. A fat quarter is a totally different size than 1/4 yard. You get a different piece of fabric one way than the other.

Believe me, if I WANT 9 x44 inch strips of fabric, I have no problems asking the cutter to cut them. Even if I want 30 of them.
That IS their job. I get it. But if you want the convenience of walking around the store, collecting this and that fat quarter, you pay for it. Or we all pay for it, when the price is raised per yard to cover the extra time it takes to cut, pay for the label making machine and labels, the additional fixtures that are required to hold fat quarters than bolts.....

I have no problem walking around a quilt store for HOURS, and I am often not even willing to let them take the bolts from my hot little hands. They are mine, all mine!!!
:XD:
But, if I want a fat quarter of a bolt, my LQS is more than willing to cut one.... so, the .25 cents extra to get the 18x22 piece I NEED, versus paying for a 1/2 yard? Yeah. Worth every penny.