Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Pennyhal

I make quilts without batting...sometimes referred to as a counterpane quilt or a summer quilt... that I put on top of my real bedspread when I go to bed at night. That way the dogs can sleep on the bed without ruining my bedspread. In the morning, I just fold it up and put it on the foot of the bed. The part of having dogs sleep on a quilt isn't so much that they add dirt (which mine do because they are outside a lot), but dogs have a tendency to scratch and "dig" the surface of whatever they lay down on, and they can rip the quilting stitches out by doing this. So I machine quilt their quilt so that if they rip out stitches, I can quickly repair it. Also, without the batting, it is pretty easy to just throw it in the wash.

I sometimes assign my dogs their sleep place on the bed so that I only have to cover that spot. This techinque comes in handy because adding a counterpane quilt on top of my bed quilt does add addtional warmth. Before I started quilting, I got a large piece of 100% cotton decorator fabric (purchased at Joann's) that I would put on top the bed at night. That was easy to wash too.