View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default Scrappy log cabin clam shell setting

I used up some of my Asian scraps to make an offset log cabin quilt set in a clam shell pattern. I just finished up the binding today. I posted the flimsy here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...l-t265848.html

The entire quilt, including backing was pulled from stash. I loved finally finding a use for the large koi fish print. It made a great back! I also used it for the binding. I am naming this quilt "Shells washed ashore on Kanagawa" because the border design was inspired by the Japanese woodblock print "Great Wave off Kanagawa"

This is all ruler work and FMQ done on my Innova. Batting is Hobbs Polydown, thread is Glide and magnaglide prewound bobbins. I quilted a shell pattern in each shell and used a curved ruler for the long sweeping lines in each shell. I did a stylized Asian wave in the border. I posted a tute on how I marked this for quilting. I also tried a faux piped binding for the first time and I am very pleased with the results. I have always been a hand sew the binding type of gal but I like the looks of this sew much I think I will use it more often, especially for my utility quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543106[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543107[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543108[/ATTACH]

And here are some closeups of the faux piped binding front and back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543110[/ATTACH]

And here is the back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543112[/ATTACH]

As always I look forward to your comments.
Attached Thumbnails dsc05589.jpg   dsc05609.jpg   dsc05587.jpg   dsc05595.jpg   dsc05594.jpg  

dsc05598.jpg