Thread: Black batting?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Bree123

I've never had an issue with the batting showing through the fabric except once when it was exceptionally cheap JAF clearance fabric. Mostly, the only reason to use black batting with dark quilts is due to bearding -- which typically isn't much of a problem if you use a batt with a scrim like W&N. I'm not aware of any black 100% cotton batting -- members have posted here before asking about that & the closest is an 80/20 cotton/poly blend by Hobbs. QD makes a black poly & JAF sells a black poly from Fairfield. There are plenty of choices if you want a black wool batt. My dream is to make a beautiful black on black queen-sized quilt for my bed some day so I've been researching black wool batting. Not all of it is naturally black. Some companies dye "natural" colored wool black & a lot of them use resin bonding, to which I'm allergic. I emailed a lady a while back with Nature's Comfort in MN and she said they do get black wool in from time to time & with enough notice could make me a black wool carded batting that wasn't dyed. Honestly, I've dreamed as much about that quilt as some girls do about their wedding dress.