Thread: Moving fabric
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

When my friend moved, she had an armoire family heirloom. Also cherry wood. Her husband said the movers knew what they were doing. She added more padding so there were no gouges. Told her husband she could add more to his "gun cabinet with the hand-carved front. He paid $15000.00 for it. It "was" beautiful. No that's ok, they know what they're doing. When they got to their destination and put things in storage guess what was damaged. His gun cabinet was a mess. He also didn't want her to pay for extra insurance. They knew what they were doing. She didn't listen to him. They filed a claim and reimbursed for all damages. Turns out they didn't pack the gun cabinet like they were suppose to. Because the cabinet was so large, it was placed at an angle.
Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I put my sewing room into storage while my house was up for sale back in Florida. I didn't realize it would take 3 years to sale but it did. Anyway, I packed everything myself, machines in their original boxes and fabrics, etc in large plastic totes. I used a big name moving company that also advertised A/C storage but I can't say they did that great of a job though. 1st off I don't think they put my stuff in an A/C unit as some items came out yellowed as if in high heat for a long time. When I did finally get moved to Iowa I found some of my totes damaged.........either the lids were cracked or the container themselves were damaged. Luckily none of my items inside were damaged. I noticed one of my embroidery machine boxes at the bottom of a pile in the truck and I screamed but they stated they knew how to pack so not to worry. I'm sure the fact I still had the original boxes with the thick styrofoam inserts helped tremendously too. They weren't so nice with my furniture though as I found one antique endtable with its leg ripped off, gouges in my cherry wood armoire, etc.

But everything from my sewing room came out okay, no damage or mildew on the fabrics so I'm happy on that note. I had up to 50 large totes just in fabrics so that's saying something and they were in those totes for up to 5 years. I still have some apparel and fleece fabrics in totes yet today for lack of room to put them onto shelves.

The boxes I used for my clothing and houseware goods I bought in town and they came out pretty well. Think I'm still missing a few boxes so when you do go to putting them into storage or moving truck, somehow mark which are which and whats inside them as I didn't and regret it.