Old 02-22-2016, 02:28 PM
janRN

More gray hair here--I'm so glad I only have one child. For the past year my son & MrJan have been finishing his basement. They've done everything from plumbing, wiring, flooring, drywall, etc. On Saturday DS was putting the finishing touches--the last pieces of trim on the stairwell. He had one--just one--final piece to cut, was in a hurry and didn't put the guard on the table saw. Ripped into his thumb, pointer and middle fingers! Thank God they're only 5 minutes from the ER. He was bleeding so much he almost went into shock. Got him stabelized, x-rayed, and made an attempt to sew things together. All the pieces were there, just not where they should be. He has to see the Orthopedic doc on Wednesday to see what can be done and if all fingers can be saved. It's his right hand and he's right handed. Lots of pain especially when we change the dressings but I think they look pretty good, nice and pink and responsive. (Sometimes I hate being a nurse but other times I'm glad to know what to look for). He was supposed to leave today for Belgium but cancelled because he can't dress himself and he didn't think they'd want him at meetings in his flannel pjs. Needless to say I've done no sewing and have been running back and forth to his house for dressing changes and took dinner to them last night. Funny thing: his wife was a trooper and got him to the ER, onto a stretcher and passed out cold! So they had 2 patients, not just one in that ER bay! Keep your fingers crossed (no pun intended!!!!) that everything works out with the ortho doc.