View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 PM
BARES

Default Finally got a treadle

I finally found a treadle machine that is beautiful, close enough to pick up and didn't cost a bundle. I got it for $150. and everything else within 100 miles was $300 - $2,300. The only thing I could find wrong with it is the rubber disk on the bobbin winding wheel. I am sure it is a model 15 (Y5178176). Everything seems to be there and it moves beautifully. It needs a belt and oiled and a manual. I found that the manual is probably pretty generic to Model 15 but still would like to know the sub-model.

I called a local shop today to inquire about a belt and oil. He launched into a speech about not needing the oil. He said that I should use silicone spray. He said that is what he uses on all the machines now. I have not seen you guys discuss silicone instead of oil. He also said to buy a 'composite' belt rather than an expensive ($30) leather one. Think I would rather have the leather.

I tried to post pics but was having trouble following Patrice's directions for resizing and uploading. Even with my glasses I had trouble seeing the screen and I am old and new fangled things like a computer are a challenge for me. I know how to email photos (I didn't get past resizing) but this is different. Can anyone offer any suggestions and I would love to hear where you guys stand on the silicone issue. If anyone would like to contact me by email, let me know and I can send you mine.