View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 PM
BARES

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
I just checked and she has leather belts for $5 and $6 on sale. Also there is a tutorial about how to measure sewing Machine belts for replacements. You can always call and speak to Jenny. I have and she is very nice and helpful. There are all kinds of belts. She can guide you. Remember belts should be snug, but never tight because that will cause too much pressure on the bearings and potentially damage the machine. Snug will work fine. It would be worth a call, but first look at the tutorial and get an idea. Most leather belts come with a metal hook that goes through a hole you will make in the belt, once you have determined the correct length for your particular machines. I fit one on my DDs model 27 and it works great. My mom always fit the belts for hers in the same tried and true way. You will probably need to cut some off the belt in order to fit it. Be brave, just careful not to cut off too much. You can always cut again, but you can't glue it back on. Sew-Classic belts are as good quality as any I have found. I can safely recommend them. A leather belt will last 20 years or more, so I see no particular need to get a synthetic one. How about you? Good luck. If you get puzzled, call Jenny and she can get you out of the woods.
If you order $65 or more, shipping is free. I usually order a solid state controller, felts for 221 and 301, a tire or two, spool pins, oil and grease. Look at the attachments and repair parts. They have rubber feet for 221s and other machines. Check out the free tutorials. I downloaded 3 tonight. She has bobbins, even metal bobbins, if you prefer. I buy all my vintage restoration parts at Sew-Classic because of the great prices. A lot of QBers get parts there because of good service too.
LOL Some of this is a bit over my head. I have no idea what a solid state controller is. But you reminded me that I will need bobbins - and a rubber wheel for the bobbin winder. I have a 301 but have never had to do any more than have it serviced the first time and oil since. My mother had a Singer treadle and a Minnesota treadle. I remember the belts and am glad that they have the little hook. Mothers burned in a fire 50 years ago and had a shuttle for a bobbin. This one is more like the 301 but fatter. I absolutely would prefer a leather belt for mine. I will check out the tutorials and I have looked at the things here. When I get the belt and other things I will be looking at what is here more closely. I am still going to try and get the pics uploaded. I know that Singer states that if you email them a pic that they will tell you what the model is, but in reading the posts here, it sounds like it takes them forever to get back to you. Especially since they took down part of their identification pages, etc. Still they have some good info. The one problem I had looking up my machine is that one place it indicated that it was born in 1922 in ELIZABETHPORT and another place said that it was from Kilbowie, Scotland in 1927. Will have to do more work on figuring that one out.

Thanks so much for all the help and info. This board has always been awesome. I joined back in 1997 before they changed it. Due to health problems I haven't done much online, but I love to see and hear what everyone else is doing. I will be back if and when I am having more problems!