View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 AM
mhollifiel

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
If you ever go through NC on I85, do stop at Gastonia, Cox Road, Exit 20 or 21, for MaryJo's Fabrics. You can spot the store from the highway. Wow, what an amazing selection of quality quilting fabrics at excellent prices. She carries all kinds of fabric--bridal, home deco, etc.--but it is the largest selection of quilting fabric that I have ever seen!

If you can POSSIBLY include it, Mary Jo's Cloth Store would be the most memorable stop of your trip. They have entire tables of ONE color of cotton blenders, rows and rows and rows of novelty prints, and huge specialty sections of batiks, solids, etc. You will be stunned and, her prices always seemed very reasonable to me. A little detour to this shop will make your entire shopping trip! You would need to take Highway 74 east off of I-26 below Hendersonville, NC to I-85 to Gastonia,NC. She's located off the Cox Road exit. When you finish shopping, get back on I-85 east to connect with I-77. I believe there is a completed "beltline (I-485?)" so that you can miss Charlotte. You connect back with your I-26 route in Columbia, SC and on to Charleston. It isn't much of a detour and when will you ever get the chance to see this amazing array of quilting choices?
Things to consider if you choose to visit Mary Jo's: Her hours are 9-6 and she's open Sunday afternoons as well. If you can go on a weekday, it's better shopping. Plan on giving yourself lots of time. There is much to see and choose from. Whether you have enough time or not, you will always dream of going back! I know I do! I have shopped for quilting fabric from Alaska to Key West, Nova Scotia to California and this shop is the best I have ever been in.
On a personal note, I think your UP part of Michigan is absolutely amazing! My visit there was just delightful in every way! Enjoy your trip wherever you go.