View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Weezy Rider

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I took a class from a well known teacher. I was making a Christmas quilt and she told me that I couldn't use red and green together because the eye would see brown. I told her that I was making a Christmas quilt and that did not seem to matter to her and continued to discuss my use of red and green. And I thought about all the quilters out there who were using the wrong colors for a Christmas quilt. So I left at the first break. Did not take another quilting class for many years, but eventually I took a class with a wonderful teacher. I regret not taking classes all those years because of one bad experience, but was very happy that I did not stay at the first one!
I can well imagine!

We were told to take red and green and come up with neutral gray in college design classes using Gouache. We had to paint squares of the colors showing how we got there. Orange and blue, yellow and violet are the other pairs to make gray. I did the red and green.

You get a funky brown when you mix everything.

I made a Celtic heart wall hanging using Southewestern colors. It looked great. The instructor was a bit surprised even though she had said nothing about my color choice.

I don't take many classes, but the ones where the same group take the classes and it becomes an old crony get together irk me.