View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Sunflowerzz

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
They used hide glue to put the covering on the case and that really gets nasty over time. A good oil sealer is a very good idea. Oil paint will help seal in the mold spores so it won't stink so much in the future. We are looking forward to seeing your beautiful new FW home.
Donna
Thanks for that very important info. I will use oil paint....out doors of course, my sinuses will thank me...LOL

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I'm really interested in seeing how this comes out.
I'm intrigued now. you said you use your respirator for lamp work, is that a lamp worked bead in your avatar? it's very pretty. i'd love to see the case finished, especially in decoupage. Please show us.
It isn't one of my beads in the avatar. It is a free download avatar and I have used it for years and I do get a lot of compliments on it. Thank you. I will post pics of the process and you can "read" my signature line too if you want .

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I dampen the wood, wait a couple of minutes, then scrap with a razor blade. When all the nastiness is off, I'll polyurethane it. Mine is from 1936 and the bottom had been in water at some point. Gorilla Wood glue seems to work great and is easy to wipe and sand off.

Yep, mine looked just like yours when I started. Every time I can grab an hour it looks a little less awful.
Thank you for the ideas and hints. It does seem like we can only work on them a little at a time doesn't it. But we will get them finished. Please feel free to post your progress in this thread if you want, we would love to see them. Maybe we should have our own FW sub forum...Hehe
I may have a few more pics this evening....maybe.