Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Knitette

I too am totally 'spoilt' by modern technology I only started sewing/quilting a few years ago, so other than a vague memory of a treadle machine at school had no machine experience. I 'outgrew' my first couple of machines fairly quickly. As I learned more, I wanted to do more.

However these bells and whistles machines weigh a ton and I wanted something portable to take to class. Well.....I had no idea just how much I relied on them. I bought a lightweight model (Pfaff Passport) to take to class as the feet from my other machine would fit.

I nearly drove the other members mad as my machine constantly beeped as I tried to sew without putting the pressure foot down (my other machine could be described as a point and sew kinda machine, lol) and bemoaning the fact it didn't cut the thread or raise the foot automatically when you stopped.

Within a matter of weeks I sold it and put the money towards the next model up from my existing machine, and I now keep the other one at class - no more heavy lifting. We just did not get on and whilst some may think it's a lot of money to leave in a cupboard, for me, it was worth it.

Life is is short and if you can afford to do the things that bring you pleasure and make you happy, then do it.

BTW - I also have a white Featherweight - a beautiful adornment to my sewing room, bought long before I realised how much I enjoy technology!