View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 PM
DonnaMiller

Welcome. There is a FW site on yahoo and it is a membership thing, absolutely free. Good reading. I buy all my parts, lubricants and etcs. at Sew-Classic.com. You can find a new felt for the underside of your machine there. Remove the big nut on the bottom of the machine. This is the oil catching tray. Inside, there is a black felt pad with round holes in it. It will probably smell bad. That is where Sew-Classic.com comes in. They have these at a very nominal price. They also have parts. Their parts are the most reasonable I have found. You can contact Jenny there if you have questions. She is very sweet and helpful. If the carrying case stinks, and most do indeed, then put half a cake of Safeguard or Irish Spring deodorant soap, in the original box, inside the box so it doesn't come in contact with the machine. It will help get the musty smell out. Sunlight on a nice day will also help. Plain sewing machine oil should be all you need to clean up the machine. I use an artist paint brush to clean out the lint, fuzz etc. from the machine. A lint free rag should do the polishing. I use a good carnuba wax, like for high end antique cars, to polish the frame. Don't get any solvents or harsh chemicals on the finish or decals. That is just about it. Easy does it and moderation in all things. If you need a manual, to show the oiling points, try ISMACS.com and they download free too. The FW and the Singer model 15 operate very much alike. The 301 is the FW's big sister. Happy sewing.
Donna

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 03-09-2016 at 04:35 PM.