Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

I don't think anyone buys a Featherweight nowadays to replace their main sewing horse, LOL! It's a novelty, and can be used to take places where you will only need to piece two layers of fabric together-- such as a class. If you are looking to bond with it further than that you will be disappointed, to be sure.

I have bought 3 FWs... one that runs on British current, for my daughter in England. She left it with her MIL when she and hubby moved to America. Then I bought two more, as I found them for very cheap. One is at my daughter's house where she lives now (in case she ever gets a 'wild hair' to sew), and one is here with me. I've used it a little but really enjoy just setting it up as a decoration more. I bought a wonderful Singer 301 which can take the place of the Featherweight as a portable to take to classes or wherever. With it's gear driven motor, it's a much stronger sewer than the FW, and it's slant needle and easy access bobbin are much more user-friendly. But it only weighs 5 lbs more than a FW! I love this machine. It sits in it's cabinet but can quickly and easily snap out to be carried around as a portable. To me, the 301s should be much more desired to collect than the FWs.

I also have a 1908 Singer model 66-1 treadle machine that I have TOTALLY bonded with! Everything on it moves with total precision (like a Swiss watch!) and the sounds it makes are soothing and hypnotizing. It will be the LAST machine I ever sell. Still, it's only a straight stitch machine with no reverse, so I do the majority of my quilting on my Juki 2010Q!