View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM
NJ Quilter

We have a relatively small kitchen but a decent sized pantry. That's where all the 'not used on a daily basis' stuff goes (along with minor amounts of food). Cookbooks and recipe boxes are also there. I dislike lots of clutter on my counters which is a neverending battle with DH. If there's a flat surface anywhere.... Our microwave is above the stove - best invention since sliced bread. I use the 'bread drawer' of my cabinets for most of the gadgets. I have a small 'vase' for the most used spatulas and spoons. Coffee pot and toaster are on the counter as well as a small basket to hold odds & ends. I do tend to like gadgets but can usually resist most of them.

As to gifting...DH & I agreed a number of years ago to forgo the gift giving for holidays and anniversaries. We instead use those funds for travel; dinners out; time spent together. I agree with another poster's suggestion that adult children of those of us who have more 'stuff' than we know what do with - ask for their time (if geographically convenient). Even if not so geographically convenient, perhaps more frequent phone calls?? Still 'time' on their part as well as you getting to spend time chatting/visiting with them.