View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
i loved reading everyone's responses here. I have sewn for, oh my goodness, years and years... mostly clothes until the last five or six years... when quilting sort of took over my life (!).
I'm not sure I understand the contradicting concept of buying less expensive (lower quality often) fabric for the quilts that DO need to last alot longer - i.e. our kids to play with... to me it seems more logical to buy better fabric because it will last longer - or so it seems is the reason we buy the better fabric to begin with. I bought fabric at a non-LQS for both sons' quilts. One is not falling apart - the other is doing well. Equal use/equal wear and tear. When I make the one over again :) I will use better quality fabric, even though he is only 13 and will probably drag it to more camping trips over the next few years. I agree with the idea of spending only what we can afford. I do know that often one can find much better quality fabric for the same price as the non-LQS stores - just have to be patient and watch closely.
I did learn something new - - I was not aware that fabric made overseas was fumigated!!! I am a strong believer, anyways, of buying American and love Connecting Threads for that reason. I try to buy American made supplies,etc. along with fabric as much as I can. Thankful moreso now that I know about the fumigation from other countries.
Not trying to be a fabric police or look down my nose here at all - - - I just like the concept of buying American made... can't always do it, but do really like to when I can.
What are the names of fabric companies here in the United States. I would certainly prefer to buy U.S. also.

I may be breaking every cardinal rule in quilting, but before I do my sashing, border and backing I wash the fabric. When I make the blocks on my quilts, I don't! I use pieces of this and that and I have mostly fat quarters and traded pieces. When I get the quilt all done and ready to go, I throw it in the washer. In the summer it hangs outside on the line to dry. In the winter, I put it in the dryer. Never have had a problem. Probably the luck of an idiot! Just thought I would mention it! Edie