View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Prissnboot

Default organizing a sewing space from scratch

Hi! I recently found myself in a unique (to me) position where my boyfriend and I are planning on buying a house (in about 18 months so there are a lot of unknowns right now) and if there's not a big enough room in the house, we're talking about converting the garage to my sewing space. This is me doing the happy dance!!!

I currently sandwich my quilts on the floor, which I hate, but he's suggested either having a murphy-bed style table that folds up and stores against the wall, or else suspending it from the ceiling, which I think would interfere with the lighting but he says we can get around.

It would also be nice to have some cabinet space for storage - currently my stuff is on those chrome wire kitchen racks (the fabric is in the closet though) and it just looks junky.

I also want a 5' long ironing surface to accommodate uncut fabric, and it would be nice to have storage underneath that - I've seen people here convert an old dresser to an ironing surface, which is pretty handy.

I only have one sewing machine, no serger and no plans to have one.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions on what should be made priority? It's difficult not knowing the exact dimensions of the room, I realize, but I'm starting from scratch and am a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks...