Thread: Quilting Iron
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Diana

Were you using distilled water? It sounds like your water may be heavy with minerials if you are using tap water in different brands and they all start to spit,sputter and leak after a while.
Just a thought....
I have several irons for quilting, I like the one that Sharon Schamber recommended and uses in her classes. It is the Rowenta travel iron with the long handle. It is a steam iron, but I use the cotton setting and keep it next to my machine on my ironing pad. I turn it on the side when not using it. This type of iron is not heavy and does not put strain on your hands/wrist in the event you have arthritis. I have never had a problem with my Rowentas. I have one in my laundry room( reg. size) and two of the Rowenta travel irons for use in sewing room and for quilt classes. Di in TX
Originally Posted by cindyg
Spitting/leaking irons is the bane of my existence!!! No matter the iron, after 2 or 3 months they start spitting and soon leaking to the point where I couldn't put any water in them. Soooooo I made the decision to buy a cheap steam iron w/auto shut off and use it until it starts to leak then throw it away and go get another one. I'm talking cheap - $19.99 at WalMart.

BTW - the last iron that went in the trash was a Shark. I like the way it steamed. It just didn't last long.