View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
K-Roll

Default Fabric Strategy Advice

Hi everyone, I need some advice on what my fabric strategy should be. I've been reading posts about managing scraps and whatnot, and you all will know what I should do.

Don't laugh but I went to a fabric store to buy scraps (actually, a few 1/4 yards of different colors) because I'm new at this --- when I went to make a fabric postcard luckily I had some 1000-year old chintz and crepe pieces. I have some new scraps from the slipcover I'm making & I'm not done yet...but I will have some after I finish. Which leads me to my question about strategy.

I've read to keep scraps by color, and to save/use the bitty parts and leftover threads for stuffing, which I'm doing. I figured since I'm starting out so fresh, it's a good chance to stay ahead and get the best practices from you all.

Should I cut stuff into squares and strips as I go? How big should the piece be to not get cut up...
should I make some into HSTs ahead of time even if I have no plans right then to use them?
For storage, I'm thinking plastic storage bins, eh?

Thanks in advance - my question may seem simpleminded but I know myself, if I don't get a handle on it all in the beginning I'll be down a river of no return.