View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Mickey2

It depends on how light weight you need it to be. I don't mind carrying any vintage Bernina (post WWII at least) from the house to the car, but walking a longer distance with them on a regular basis is out of the question. Compared to a modern light weight neither of them are particularly light, but they are not all plastic and have the quality you are looking for. The 900 Nova model is very nice and portable. Mine is a full size machine, ivory white with deep red knobs and details. It has a handle on top of the machine that sticks out of the casing when it's packed to go. The casing is sort of hinged on the hand wheel side and all bobbins, feet and accessories is stored there. It has a few utility sitches and buttonholer function (turn dial), has worked trouble free since my grand mother first bought it in the late 70s, my mother had it for a while. It's a bit lighter than my 730 Record, which is a favorite. Either of the free arm vintage models is easy to bring along as long as the car isn't too far off.