View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

How long have you been researching frame quilting? The rule-of-thumb is to spend at least a year on research, including trying out different setups at quilt shows, before making a decision. It sounds to me as if you have not yet done enough research to make an informed decision, and it can be costly (in more ways than one) to jump in before you are ready.

The first step is to determine whether you prefer moving the quilt, or moving the machine. It sounds as if you find standing up and moving the machine better for you than sitting down and moving the quilt. (Me too, but there are others who prefer the opposite!)

If you prefer a frame setup, then you *must* have enough room for the frame -- both width and depth.

What sizes of quilt do you plan on doing? The bigger the quilt, the more room you need on the frame for frame quilting. The 8-foot frame is a special order because not many people want to be that limited on their frame quilting. Understand that out of the 8 feet, you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 18" on one side (preferably on each side) so you can "park" your machine for maintenance, bobbin changes, etc. When you load a quilt, you also need about 6" on each side to allow for excess batting and backing.

If I were you, I would take a step back and spend more time learning about quilting options. This is a big purchase, and an expensive one if it doesn't work out for you.