View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Barb in Louisiana

I created my own method. I cut my binding 2 1/2". I evenly fold it, but don't iron it. I sew an accurate 1/4" seam on the back side, making sure the corners are exact. Then, I roll the binding to the front. There is extra binding width at this point. On the front, I make sure the binding is just covering the original seam. I fold maybe 1/8" past it. I then roll the extra width of the binding to the back and end up sewing on both of the top and back binding so that there is about a 1/8" extra fabric outside the seam. (I'm actually sewing almost on top of the original seam) Think how you sew double bias binding that is premade. I do have to rip every once in a while, when my seam gets a little off, but I am getting better at it. I hand stitch the corners to keep them from coming apart. If there is too much bulk in the corners, I have been known to trim the excess just slightly.

Edited to Add: I cut all my bindings on the bias. That gives me a little bit of wiggle room if I need it. If you use bias, do NOT stretch the binding when you are doing the first 1/4" seam. I did try it with WOF bindings and found they wanted to roll funny and I ended up with some small tucks. Not really noticeable unless you looked for them. I didn't like the way I had to fight them.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-22-2016 at 07:43 PM.