View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
AUQuilter

Default Quilt for BIL 90" X 106"

When one of my younger BILs came to visit us last October, he asked if I could make him a quilt and he would pay me for materials and my time. I laughed out loud! We discussed what he was looking for and he said he liked the one on the guest bed that also covers the pillows but just plain white on top and a creamy beige on back. I proposed a whole cloth solution and here it is. I sent him links to fabrics and he picked the white. Then told me to surprise him about the back fabric. Gave him 4 options for quilting (sent by LAQ) and he chose the Buzz Saw Quilt Pattern. I hand bound it just barely having enough to do the binding left after the shrinkage near miss. Used Quilter's Dream batting in it! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t276042.html

It was difficult to get a great pic as it is 90" X 106" and my quilt holders just didn't understand why I needed pics of front and back.

He was widowed three years ago this year and has been Mr. Fix It Upper and learning new domestic things. Before we left he asked me if I would show him how to "roll up the sheet sets" like I do. And he got it the first time!

He then asked how much did he owe me. He had already given me his wife's cutting mat & rotary cutter and on this trip- her mother's avocado Wilson Mfg Co sewing box. I almost cried as I had been looking for the avocado to go with the yellow and orange one I have- reminder of the 70s/80s colors. It was full of goodies, wooden spools, needles, notions, etc. - a treasure trove as you can see. I left the receipts for the fabric, batting and the LAQ labor. Just got the check with something added for my managing the whole process and getting it finished with a handwritten Thank You on a white index card-LOL! The LAQ had not done a quilt like this- she called it simple but quite elegant.
Attached Thumbnails pats-quilt-front-.jpg   pats-quilt-backing.jpg   pats-quilting-buzz-saw-swirls.jpg   avocado-sewing-box-1.jpg   avocado-sewing-box-2.jpg  

avocado-sewing-box-3.jpg