Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
JanetM

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe ask him again on the phone, then you can hear by the tone in his voice if he really wants one or not.

I do know a few people who would never use one...They prefer fleece or other softer feeling fabric, and if given a quilt it would sit in a closet or be given away....

Also ask yourself, if you did make him one and he never used it...how would you feel?
I did talk to him on the phone later and he brought the up the subject. I explained to him that I was thinking about making him a lap quilt that he could use when he reads, sitting in his favorite chair. His response "oh" and then he changed the subject.

When I told my sister about his note she too thought his note was a bit blunt. We talked about how if it seems that someone wouldn't appreciate your efforts, maybe it is best to not bother. Use your time where it will be appreciated.

I would never presume to make someone a quilt for their bed without knowing if they want one. It would seem presumptuous to dictate to them how to decorate their bedroom. So that is why I thought he might like a lap quilt.

His note and subsequent phone call really hurt my feelings so I am relunctant to make anything for him. My Dad tends to say what he means, and means what he says.

I was telling my friend (saleswoman) at my favorite sewing machine store. She too thought it was odd. A nice man (waiting for his vacuum cleaner) overheard us and said "I would love a quilt" He made my day.