Old 03-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Onebyone
Power Poster

I don't know about the cooker you have but I would experiment. I grew up on fresh turnip greens and turnips. They were cut up and boiled and then mashed with butter, salt and pepper. Nothing like fresh pot liquor and fresh baked cornbread. Turnips and greens are loaded with vitamins. All fresh greens have to be cooked a long time to get rid of the yangy flavor. Canned greens taste fine if simmered on low for a long time. If I cook canned, I use one can of seasoned greens with one can of unseasoned greens, add some chopped raw turnips, add chicken broth, bring to boil and then let simmer for at least an hour. My kids and grands were served greens and turnips at a very young age. They all like them and make a big pot all the time. I think it's sad for kids not to be introduced to all the different foods available. How will they know what good food is suppose to tastes like. A box mac and cheese is what most think is good food or processed chicken nuggets. How many have had natural olives that weren't in a jar of vinegar? That is not good olives, you won't know unless you try the good stuff. Okay off my soapbox

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-26-2016 at 01:50 PM.